Geneva, Sept 20. – Cuba condemned attacks on the South by industrialized countries in the United Nations Human Rights Council and expressed its disappointment over the return of selective practices.
Referring to issue No. 4 on the HRC agenda, Situations Requiring the Council's Attention, Cuban Ambassador Rodolfo Reyes said he regretted that no self-criticism had been heard in speeches by representatives of the industrialized countries.
Nothing had been said regarding the glaring human rights violations committed particularly in places where military forces are deployed, responsible for torture, extrajudicial executions and indiscriminate murder, Reyes stated.
Likewise, no reference had been made regarding the responsibility for secret CIA flights, much less the shameful existence of the concentration camp in Guantanamo, an illegally occupied territory that should be returned to Cuba, he said.
The diplomat recalled that 12 years have passed since the arrest of Gerardo Hernandez, Ramon Labañino, Antonio Guerrero, Fernando Gonzalez and Rene Gonzalez (Cuban Five), who remain in U.S. prisons.
The Cuban Five have faced many obstacles to exercise their rights since their arrest and throughout their rigged trials, and have been subjected to cruel punishment, he emphasized.(Prensa Latina)